Wednesday, July 4, 2007

World in pictures

I haven't really been doing much, just sort of settling into the apartment and to work. I've watched 2 movies the last couple of evenings: Wang Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love and Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern. I need English subtitles to get through them, but I think they're probably helping my Chinese at least a little bit. I wanted to try to watch some unsubtitled Chinese TV, but I can't seem to get the TV to work and my flatmate has been getting home late. Hopefully I'll get a bike this weekend and be able to get home before 7 or so.

Now that I'm beginning to get into a routine, the next priority on my list is learning some Chinese. I figure watching TV or movies can teach me to a certain extent, and I've been sorta fried after work each day, so it's been relaxing. I'm starting a campaign to learn words for food so that I have some clue what's in my dumplings. I might try to find a semi-formal language exchange partner or something.

I'm mainly posting now to put up a few pictures. I actually haven't taken too many yet. Maybe I'll get out this weekend and have some more adventures. Anyway, here are some from LA and others from Beijing.

2 comments:

elizabeth krasner said...

helloooo. i've been recommending your blog to everyone, mostly because you talk about cars in *every* single post, which i think is mostly wonderful. but, alas, the trend appears to have ended.

i did a whole project on 'in the mood for love' and if you liked it you should see happy together, which is his earlier and more depressing work. anyway, i'm back in the US, so don't expect any more updates from me.

eat some green tea ice cream for me.

Christian said...

I'm sad to say I've never seen "In the Mood for Love." However, my host brother in Ulan-Ude last year was a huge Wang Kar Wai fan, and got me to watch Chug Hing sam lam (In Russian it was Midnight Express, I think), and Duo luo tian shi (whose Russian title I don't remember).

http://imdb.com/title/tt0109424/
-and-
http://imdb.com/title/tt0112913/

...respectively. I quite enjoyed them both.