Monday, June 18, 2012

More Munich?

Once I did figure out where the bike path started, following it to Friesen and the Isar river bike path was a breeze. Which is good, since I seem to have forgotten to download GPS maps for Munich.

It's very warm here- it hit 95 today. I was ok in the morning, riding along the river on a shaded path, but the heat got bad by midday. The path was flat and smooth, and there was little wind, which is all better than Iceland. The scenery between towns was rather dull.

I rode into Munich though the Englischur Garten, one of the biggest public parks in the world. At that point, the heat and lack of sleep caught up with me, and I crashed on a bench for a nap.

When I finally rode into downtown Munich, the volume of traffic was a bit overwhelming. There at TONS of cyclists, separated cycle tracks and lights on the inside of parked cars, instead of to the left like in the US, and I had at least 2 drivers very conspicuously look over their shoulders, see me, and stop instead of turning right in front of me.

With all my gear, it was hard to get around to see much, so I just sort of rode around. It wouldn't be an international trip for me without a major site under construction, so fortunately the Marienplatz obliged.


Finally, to escape the heat and refill water and use a restroom before catching my train to Fussen, I camped out in a Starbucks that had a seat with a view of my parked bike and all my gear.


I'm on the train right now as I write, and it's fairly impressive in its efficiency, though it could use air conditioning. Fortunately I was told in advance that only half of the train cars go to Fussen (hopefully I'm I'm the right half), because without speaking German the announcements are useless to me.


Sent from my phone

No comments: